People worldwide are shifting to handheld smartphones due to their increased mobility, undivided raw performance, and most importantly, the ability to connect seamlessly with their friends and family through voice or virtually. Text Message Blocker Apps improvises on this factor by helping Android devices block text messages and spam callers, thereby helping you keep your smartphone clean and free from distractions.
Spam messages are any unsolicited or undesired text messages delivered to your mobile phone for commercial reasons. Spam communications promoting free gift cards, low-interest debit cards, and debt relief services come from a computer system through an email address or instant messaging account. While most spam texts are innocuous, some represent a danger of theft by installing malware on your smartphone and gaining access to your personal information.
SMS blocker apps also keep you safe from intrusive callers and abusers, whose pesky, irritating messages can ruin your day and personal space. Android users can block text messages sent by such intruders either by reporting and blocking them individually or automatically blocking spammers based on a standard spam list generated by reports of a community using text message blocker apps.
Fortunately, the Android ecosystem has provided numerous ways to implement the block text messages and calls procedure by allowing text message blocker apps to impose specific rules and rescue you in such situations. Today, we will enlist the 10 Best Text Blocker apps for Android that help you enjoy a relaxed time by preventing the reoccurrence of spam messages. But first, let us see how to use the default message blocking app for Android: Google Messages.
How to block text messages using Google Messages
Messages by Google come installed by default in most Android smartphones, and it performs wonderfully as a text message blocker for Android. It is the first line of defense against spam messages and repetitive callers and provides an efficient, simple solution to block text messages. Google Messages lacks the feature of viewing if a blocked number has tried to text you. Despite this, it performs its dedicated task with dignity.
Other SMS blocker apps included here have similar procedures for including a number or URL in the block list, so we will elaborate on the tutorial of using text blocker apps like Google Messages.
- Open the Messages app from the app drawer, or if not present, you can download it from here.
- Select the message or conversation thread you want to get rid of, and tap on the 3-dotted icon on the top-right corner.
- Press Details, and from the following page, select Block and report spam.
- Android Messages will ask you to confirm your action and include a checkbox Report as spam, which will add the blocked number in Google’s common spam database. Select according to your preferences, and tap OK to confirm.
- A notification will inform you about the number being blocked, and you have successfully learned how to use this message blocking app.
Google Messages is one of many SMS blocker apps out there for Android, and we have listed them below along with the additional features they showcase. Download them from the link given below each.
Best Text Message Blocker Apps for Android
1. Truecaller: Caller ID, Spam Blocking & Chat
Truecaller is among the best text message blocker apps available in the Play Store. Designed to detect unknown numbers, block numbers from telemarketers and robocallers, and consolidate all SMS/phone calls in a single platform, Truecaller is a highly effective spam filtering system that is easy to use. Complementing the call filtering facility, Truecaller also has an intelligent dialer, call recording abilities, caller identification, integrated Chat/SMS capabilities, and a spam-free inbox. Here are some unique features offered by Truecaller:
- Block text messages and spam calls from common spammers reported by others, or add them manually from the recent list or contacts list.
- SMS blocker apps like Truecaller can do searches for unknown numbers throughout its worldwide network and display them with their names and pictures, helping with identification.
- Retrieve an unknown number from its database by using just a name.
- It shows an “availability” or “muted” indication so you can see whether someone is available to speak before you call (requires another person to have Truecaller installed as well, and this feature activated for both persons).
- Has a special section for viewing blocked messages and calls, for which no notification is generated.
- Junk SMS cleaner, emergency number directory, news, and DND features.
- Truecaller Gold includes premium features: Gold badge, preventing others from accessing your number in the database, seeing who viewed your profile, and faster customer support.
2. Calls Blacklist – Call Blocker
If you want dedicated spam call and text message blocker apps for Android that serves no other function, Calls Blacklist is the perfect message blocking app for you. You can block text messages and calls from the contact list, phone log, or a manually entered list. Notifications will be disabled for these SMS, and spam calls will be declined at the first ring. Numerous features of call and SMS blocking include:
- Has Blacklist and Whitelist database: Blacklist has all the blocked numbers, whereas the Whitelist entries are never blocked.
- A lock schedule can be created to block text messages specifically during a time of the day.
- Hidden and private numbers are automatically blocked.
- Block numbers with similar first few digits.
- Full lockdown mode.
- Noting down which blocked number called or messaged and displaying via a notification.
- Transfer blocklist files by downloading and sharing.
- Need to be set as the default SMS app for automatic message blocking app.
- Consume less battery, starts blocking on Android device startup, and limit the number of unnecessary notifications.
3. Root Call SMS Manager
Root Call SMS Manager is a text message blocker app for Android that blocks text messages on a much deeper root level than other SMS blocker apps. Devices with Android version 8 and above don’t require root access to use this app. For others, we need to put the radio.sh file in the superuser directory, and change its permission to read and execute.
Detailed instructions can be found on their website.
- Block text messages and calls, both incoming and outgoing, without setting it as the default SMS app.
- Support Dual SIM smartphone, multiple parameters for different SIM.
- Ability to replace the incoming call number.
- Modify call blocking method to Reject or Not Answer.
- Block SMS with a similar pattern of content.
- Tasker Integration (Read more here)
4. Call Blocker Free – Blacklist and Whitelist
Call Blocker Free effectively blocks text messages and unwanted robocalls without notification and helps maintain a quiet and distraction-free environment. Being a lightweight text blocker apps for Android, it has the following features:
- Best known for blocking telemarketers and robocalls, which are a part of One-ring Phone Scam
- Multiple Blocking modes, Blacklist and Whitelist
- Notification when blocked number messages back
- Exclude Call Blocker from the default power saver list to help run it in the background.
5. Key Messages – Spam blocker for Android, Block text
Key Messages for Android stands out as an intelligent call and SMS blocker apps that prevent undesirable, private, unknown numbers from sending any kind of messages to your Android device. Such advanced functioning from text message blocker apps helps you regain your privacy and mind’s peace in just a few simple steps. Key Messages portray these following features:
- Block text messages based on phone number, sender’s title, keywords, and wildcard rules.
- Rejects SMS from unknown numbers, bank callers, and class 0 messages.
- AI-based technology makes spam detection and prevention better.
- Block text messages from email and changing mail addresses.
- Timely message backup & restore, remove message duplicates, and organize SMS
- Premium features: Blocking on Keywords, block group message, instant spam deletion.
6. AntiNuisance – Call Blocker and SMS Blocker
Stop phone calls and text messages from undesirable numbers, spammers, debt collectors, network marketers, and robots with AntiNuisance text message blocker for Android. To prevent all future calls and texts from a given number, just add it to the blocklist. Every call and message that gets banned is recorded, and you may check your daily log of blocked entries. You can also refuse messages for a particular time of the day.
- Flexible blacklist configuration
- Filter SMS with keywords or wildcards
- Stop messaging for a particular time of the day (Silent Mode)
- Blacklist setting backup and restore
- Multi-SIM support
7. Call Control – SMS/Call Blocker. Block Spam Calls!
Call Control is a user-friendly call and text blocker apps trusted by more than five million people to prevent unwanted incoming calls and texts. The program provides various settings for blocking incoming calls from unknown and concealed callers, blocking specific people, setting up “Do Not Disturb” mode, filtering out text messages, using a community blacklist, and recording banned conversations.
8. Call Blocker – Blacklist, SMS Blocker
Using Call Blocker, you no longer have to worry about the annoyances of pesky callers, and you can save time not answering their calls by adding them to the black list. It will assist you in keeping your calling agenda clear of unsolicited calls, and you may prevent them altogether if you simply add them to the blacklist.
9. Block Calls & Block SMS
As a practical and discreet text message blocker apps and call management application, Block Calls & Block SMS offers dependable support. Blocking a phone number (any contact in your address book) or someone annoying is straightforward with this program. The option to ban unknown anonymous numbers or turn off alerts is similar to other SMS blocker apps listed here.
10. Mood Messenger
Mood Messenger serves as an impeccable alternative to your default Android SMS app combined with the unique superpower of text blocker apps. With 100+ features like free themes, customizable interface, caller ID, this message blocking app brings SMS and chat features together. The app also features automatic spam detection, message scheduling, and location sharing.
Can you see if a blocked number has tried to text you?
Almost every SMS blocker apps listed here possess the ability to display whether a blocked number has tried to text you or not. Unique logging features recording and storing block text messages and the number sending them without showing a notification when they arrive. You can enable or disable the pop-up when the number tries contacting you.
Message blocking services don’t necessarily ban the messages being sent, but these spam texts are stored elsewhere so that you will not be disturbed when they arrive, and your storage space will be saved. This is the reason you can still view which number tried to contact you despite blocking them.
These noteworthy text message blocker apps have been serving the Android ecosystem for many years and performing the job successfully without hiccups. Ensure to read the instructions for specific apps in their Play Store page for proper functioning (exclusion from power saver list), and leave a comment below sharing your experience with these SMS Blocker Apps. Let us know which one is your favorite.