Giuseppe Tornatore (born 27 Could 1956) is an Italian film director and screenwriter. He’s thought of as one of many administrators who introduced essential acclaim again to Italian cinema. In a profession spanning over 30 years he’s greatest recognized for guiding and writing drama movies resembling Everybody’s Fine, The Legend of 1900, Malèna, Baarìa and The Best Offer. Most likely his most famous movie is Nuovo Cinema Paradiso, for which Tornatore received the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film. He has additionally directed a number of promoting campaigns for Dolce & Gabbana.
Tornatore can be recognized for his long-standing affiliation with composer Ennio Morricone, who composed music for 13 Tornatore function movies since 1988.
Giuseppe Tornatore – Life and profession
Born in Bagheria close to Palermo, Tornatore developed an curiosity in appearing and the theatre from at the very least the age of 16 and placed on works by Luigi Pirandello and Eduardo De Filippo.
He labored initially as a contract photographer. Then, switching to cinema, he made his debut with Le minoranze etniche in Sicilia (The Ethnic Minorities in Sicily), a collaborative documentary movie which received a Salerno Pageant prize. He then labored forearlier than releasing his first full-length movie, Il Camorrista, in 1985. This evoked a constructive response from viewers and critics alike and Tornatore was awarded the Silver Ribbon for best new director.
Tornatore’s greatest recognized display work was launched in 1988: Nuovo Cinema Paradiso, a movie narrating the lifetime of a profitable movie director who has returned to his native city in Sicily for the funeral of his mentor. This obtained worldwide success and received an Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film. Subsequently, Tornatore launched a number of different movies. In 2007 he received the Silver George for Greatest Director on the 29th Moscow International Film Festival for The Unknown Woman.
Giuseppe Tornatore – Private life
Tornatore describes himself as “one who doesn’t imagine and who regrets this”.His brother, Francesco Tornatore, is a producer.
Giuseppe Tornatore – Filmography
Written and directed
- 1986: The Professor (Il camorrista)
- 1988: Cinema Paradiso (Nuovo Cinema Paradiso)
- 1990: Everybody’s Fine (Stanno tutti bene)
- 1991: Especially on Sunday (phase “Il cane blu”)
- 1994: A Pure Formality (Una pura formalità)
- 1995: The Star Maker (L’uomo delle stelle)
- 1995: Lo schermo a tre punte (documentary)
- 1996: Ritratti d’autore: seconda serie (documentary)
- 1998: The Legend of 1900 (La leggenda del pianista sull’oceano)
- 2000: Malèna
- 2006: The Unknown Woman (La sconosciuta)
- 2009: Baarìa
- 2013: The Best Offer
- 2016: The Correspondence
Giuseppe Tornatore – Screenplay solely
- Cento giorni a Palermo (“One Hundred Days in Palermo”), directed by Giuseppe Ferrara (1984) – Tornatore is credited below the identify Peppuccio Tornatore
Giuseppe Tornatore – References
- ^ Katz, Ephraim, “Italy,” The Movie Encyclopedia (New York: HarperResource, 2001), pp. 682-685.
- ^ Valentina Zannoni (30 October 2011). “Funeral alla Dolce & Gabbana”. Swide Journal. Retrieved 19 Could 2012.
- ^ “The 62nd Academy Awards (1990) Nominees and Winners”. oscars.org. Retrieved 6 September 2015.
- ^ “29th Moscow International Film Festival (2007)”. MIFF. Archived from the original on 21 April 2013. Retrieved 2013-05-30.
- ^ Interview with Trovacinema
Giuseppe Tornatore – Additional studying
- Giuseppe Tornatore. Uno sguardo dal set a cura di Ninni Panzera, Silvana Editoriale, Cinisello Balsamo 2007
- L’isola di Tornatore a cura di Ninni Panzera, Silvana Editoriale, Cinisello Balsamo 2010
- Le Madonie, cinema advert alte quote di Sebastiano Gesù e Elena Russo, con introduzione di Francesco Novara e presentazione di Pasquale Scimeca, Giuseppe Maimone Editore, Catania 1995 (Nuovo Cinema Paradiso and L’Uomo delle Stelle)