In this digital age, videos are everywhere. You are probably consuming this format of content on every other device, the primary example being your smartphone. Be it an OTT platform, social media platforms, or even YouTube, videos are everywhere. And technology is not only improving the devices to consume video content, it is also taking care of devices that produce videos – cameras. However, this blessing comes in the form of a disguise.
Each device supports a range of video formats, and it is these formats that might pose a problem while viewing, making, or simply transferring a video. Luckily, the situation can be easily handled if one has a video converter. Today, in this article, we would be reading about the 10 best video converter software and how they can help you just in the nick of time.
The video converters not just help you in changing the format of a video, but they can also help in reducing the size or compressing while maintaining the quality of the video while doing that. This handpicked list has both free and paid software that you can use according to your specific requirement. Let us explore the options.
10 Best Video Converter Software
1. Any Video Converter
Starting the list with one of the best tools to convert videos, Any Video is simply versatile. Now, the software is free to use, but you might see some advertisements here and there while installing. Once done, you can select from more than 150 preset video profiles, 17 output formats, and export videos with 4K resolution. Coming to the user interface, you might need some time to get a hang of it, but once you are used to it, there are no complaints. Additionally, you can download YouTube videos or even extract audio from video files. The software is available for both Windows and Mac.
- The free version is actually usable
- Supports 4K video conversion
- Can convert to popular output formats like MP4, MKV, and AVI
- Includes NVIDIA NVENC accelerated coding
- The conversion process takes more time than usual
- The free version tries to install any additional software
Price: Free | Premium version costs $49.95
Download: Any Video Converter
2. Freemake Video Converter
Freemake is a freemium software that gives you plenty of features. The software gives you predefined video profiles which can produce content for a particular device or platform. With the support of 17 different video formats, including MKV, MP4, MP3, AVI, and MOV. The free version does add a watermark while converting files, so you might need to upgrade to the paid version. Once you do that, you get fast conversion rates and can burn to DVD as well. However, users also report that the premium version is not easily accessible, and the information is not available upfront.
- The software can handle 4K videos
- Basic editing tools such as crop, join, and rotate are available
- Fast conversions
- The free version is not usable
- Pricing is slightly on the higher side
- Only available for Windows
Price: FREE | $5 per week | $10 per month | $60 one time purchase
Download: Freemake Video Converter
Probably the only completely free software out there, HandBrake is one of the best video converter software for both Windows and Mac. For starters, you need not deal with advertisements while installing the application. The interface is pretty modern, yet it might take some time to get used to it. Despite being a free tool, HandBrake has everything you require to convert your videos. Formats such as MP4, MOV, MP3, MPEG, MKV, and M4V are supported, with surprisingly good output.
- Completely free
- Batch conversion
- Basic editing such as trimming, cropping, and compressing can be done
- The user interface is not beginner-friendly
- The conversion rates are slow when compared to other software
4. Movavi Video Converter
If you are someone who is looking for high-quality output and fast conversion rates, Movavi is the right video converter for you. Using the software, you can convert various videos to the formats you wish. It provides you with batch conversion, basic editing features like rotating, trimming, merging, and cropping videos, and compressing videos without losing any quality. Movavi can convert videos to formats specifically made for iPhone, Android, Television, and PlayStation. You can use the tool on both Windows and Mac computers.
- Quality Retention
- Basic features like editing, rotating and merging
- Decent speed
- Up to 4K output resolution
- Convert to AVI, MKV, MP4, MP3, MOV, and MPG
- Lack of output customization and format options
- The free version saves videos with watermarks
Price: Free | $39.95 for one year | $49.95 One Time Purchase
Download: Movavi Video Converter
5. DivX Converter
If you are running short on budget, or you are new to video conversions, DivX Converter is the software for you. The free version is competent enough to get you started. For starters, you get a high-quality output of up to 4K resolution, decent conversion speeds, and a variety of format options. You can easily handle formats such as MP4, MOV, AVI, MKV, and MP3 as well. Other than that, there is an option to buy individual features such as cloud storage or upgrade to the Pro version to get access to even faster conversion speed, more profiles, and formats.
- The free version is actually useful
- The software can handle 4K videos
- Surprisingly fast in conversion
- The converter is available for both Windows and Mac
- Pro version is one of the most affordable options out there
- Pro version includes Cloud Connect, Video Pack, DFX Audio Enhancer, and a DTS-HD Plus-in
- The installation process for the free version asks you to download a lot of other software
Price: Free | Pro Version costs $19.99
Download: DivX Converter
Yet another affordable video converter, the iDealshare VideoGo comes with Nvidia GPU acceleration. In simple terms, the software is optimized to produce high-quality video and audio files. You can import from over 80 supported formats, and select from more than 35 output formats. Using a feature, you can even download videos from YouTube. That being said, use the video converter to crop, split, flip, add watermarks, subtitles, and even adjust brightness levels.
- Batch conversion supported
- Can handle 4K videos
- Conversion speeds are good
- Supports a large array of input formats
- You cannot convert more than half of a clip that is less than 5 minutes or 5 minutes max from a larger file
Price: Free | $29.99 per year | $49.99 One Time Purchase
Download: iDealshare Video Converter
Now, if you are someone who has to deal with a lot of videos and conversions daily, and you do it for a professional cause, the UniConverter is for you. It is undoubtedly one of the most comprehensive video converter tools available. Now, keep in mind that the application limits use in the free version. For instance, it would not let you convert more than one-third of your video length. But, once you get the licensed version, there is only little that you cannot do.
The video conversion speed is high, which would save you time. You can access and select from 35 different video formats and 150 video profiles. On top of that, you can download videos from digital platforms, and even use the screen recorder. The software runs on both Mac and Windows.
- No adds
- Supports a large array of video formats and profiles
- High-quality output
- High-speed conversion
- 4K video supported
- Burn to disc feature available
- Repair video metadata
- The price is slightly on the higher side
- The user interface might be highly detailed for some people
Price: $45.95 for 1 year license | $69.95 for lifetime license
Download: Wondershare UniConverter
8. NCH Prism Video Converter Software
With a simple yet intuitive interface, Prism is one of the best video converter software for beginners, as well as professionals. The former might use the free version, while the latter might upgrade to the paid version. The list of video formats supported has all the popular names including MPEG, MP4, MOV, AVI, and MKV. Not only the conversion speeds are good, but the output quality is also decent as well. All in all, you can use this converter without any worries.
- Easy to use interface
- The free version is actually good for beginners
- The conversion speed is good
- The output does not compromise with quality
- Full HD is the highest resolution that you can convert to
- Fewer formats supported
- Only available for Windows
Price: Free | $19.99 (without MPEG2 support) | $29.99 (with MPEG2 support)
Download: NCH Prism Video Converter Software
This one is slightly special. iTubeGo is a video and audio downloader with certain conversion features. It simply means that you can download videos from more than ten thousand websites, which includes the popular social media platforms Facebook and Instagram. Using iTubeGo, you can convert video and audio files to more than 20 formats. Predefined video files include ones for iPhone, iPod, IPad, and Android devices. In a nutshell, the software can be really useful.
- Up to ten times faster video downloading
- Supports bulk downloading of videos
- Download UHD videos from YouTube and other popular platforms
- Available on all Windows, Mac, and Android devices
- Supports formats such as MP$, MOC, WMV, AVI, MKV, etc.
- Not a dedicated video converter, but useful for people who need to download videos frequently
Price: $9.95 1-Month Plan | $19.95 1 for year | $29.95 One Time Purchase
Download: iTubeGo YouTube Downloader
VideoProc is an all-rounder converter software. It provides you video, audio, and even DVD converter functionality. You can edit your videos; download other videos and record screen as well. You can expect high conversion speeds, and handle both 4K and 8K videos. Surprisingly, the software supports more than 300 codecs, more than 400 formats, upscale and downscaling videos as well. If that is not enough for you, you can download videos from over a thousand websites including YouTube.
- The software is good at doing everything
- It supports a plethora of formats and codecs
- Can handle 8K videos
- Can download videos from different websites
- Batch conversion is supported
- The conversion speed is really good
- It might take some time to get used to the interface
- The free version has limited features
Price: Free | starts from $29.95 for a year
Video conversions are a crucial part of video production or creation. Whether you are an in-house video creator or a professional content developer, you would need to address the different video codecs and formats at some point. Any software in the list above can get the job done, and it is completely up to you whether you feel like using the paid version or not. Happy converting!