After the ban on TikTok in several nations, YouTube is gaining even more popularity with its newly introduced Shorts feature. Having said that, YouTube creators were stuck with some thing really annoying.
If you are a YouTube Creator, you might find it complex if you want to change your channel name. Up till now, your YouTube channel’s branding was closely associated with your Google Account information.
In order to change your channel name, users would have to change their name on their Google account and update the profile picture from there.
However, things are about to change. Google is allowing YouTube channel owners to change their channel name without affecting their Google account information. The two are finally being separated, a step Google should have taken years ago. Users will finally be able to use their full names on Gmail while using a different name for their YouTube channel.
While this move will be welcomed by almost every YouTuber out there, there are a few things you need to keep in mind.
If you own a verified channel, changing the channel name will lead to removal of verification status. While you can apply for the verification process again, you need to start all over in order to earn the badge.
While Google is allowing the channel name to be changed, the channel custom URL will still remain the same.
Music artists need not worry about losing the musical note icons even after editing the channel name.
In case you were wondering how to change your YouTube channel name without affecting Google account name, here’s how to do it.
How to change YouTube channel name on desktop
- Visit the YouTube Studio from the link here.
- Click on the “Customization” button on the left sidebar.
- Select the “Branding” tab then proceed to click the “Change” button that can be found beside your profile picture if you want to upload a new one.
- By going to the “Basic info” tab and clicking on the pencil icon, you can change your channel name.
- Once you are done with the necessary changes, click on “Publish” so as to save the changes.
How to change YouTube channel name on Android or iOS devices
- Launch the YouTube app on your device and click on the profile picture found on top right.
- Tap on the “Your channel” and proceed to select “Edit channel”
- Make the necessary changes to your name and your profile picture.
- Save the changes and you are done.
Note: If Google says that changing the name or profile will affect all Google services, then it means that the update isn’t available on your account yet. So, give it some time and periodically check if Google has rolled out the update to your account.